Skip to main content

Using multiple solutions from equations in further calculations


First: This question is a follow-up question to my question here.


Consider the following code with output:


ClearAll[a1, b1, a2, b2, xC1, yC1, xC2, yC2, c, m]
a1 := 2
b1 := 1
a2 := 1
b2 := 1/2
xC1 := 0
yC1 := 1

xC2 := 0
yC2 := 4

eqn1 = a1 (a1^2 b2^2 m^2 + b1^2 (b2^2 - (c + m xC1 - yC1)^2)) ==
b2 (a1^2 (a2^2 m^2 + b2^2) - a2^2 (c + m xC2 - yC2)^2);
eqn2 = (a1^2 m (c - yC1) - b1^2 xC1)^2 ==
(a1^2 m^2 + b1^2) (b1^2 xC1^2 + a1^2 (c - yC1)^2 - a1^2 b2^2);
Solve[eqn1 && eqn2, {c, m}]

\begin{equation} \small \left\{ \left\{c \to -2, m \to -\frac{\sqrt{35}}{2}\right\}, \left\{c \to -2, m \to \frac{\sqrt{35}}{2}\right\}, \left\{c \to 2, m \to -\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\right\}, \left\{c \to 2, m \to \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\right\} \right\} \end{equation}



I need to calculate the values of the two expressions


(a1^2 m (c - yC1) - b1^2 xC1)/(a1^2 m^2 + b1^2)
(a2^2 m (c - yC2) - b2^2 xC2)/(a2^2 m^2 + b2^2)

for all four combinations of $c$ and $m$. (This gives eight output values.)


Furthermore, I would like the eight output values to be named x1 to x8.


How do I do that?



Answer



ClearAll[a1, b1, a2, b2, xC1, yC1, xC2, yC2, c, m]
a1 = 2;

b1 = 1;
a2 = 1;
b2 = 1/2;
xC1 = 0;
yC1 = 1;
xC2 = 0;
yC2 = 4;

eqn1 = a1 (a1^2 b2^2 m^2 + b1^2 (b2^2 - (c + m xC1 - yC1)^2)) ==
b2 (a1^2 (a2^2 m^2 + b2^2) - a2^2 (c + m xC2 - yC2)^2);

eqn2 = (a1^2 m (c - yC1) - b1^2 xC1)^2 == (a1^2 m^2 + b1^2) (b1^2 xC1^2 +
a1^2 (c - yC1)^2 - a1^2 b2^2);

sol = Solve[eqn1 && eqn2, {c, m}];

Clear[x]

Using an indexed variable and depending on the order of the sequencing desired, use either


Evaluate[Array[x, 8]] = {(a1^2 m (c - yC1) - b1^2 xC1)/(a1^2 m^2 + b1^2),
(a2^2 m (c - yC2) - b2^2 xC2)/(a2^2 m^2 + b2^2)} /. sol // Flatten;


x /@ Range[8]

(* {Sqrt[35]/6, Sqrt[35]/3, -(Sqrt[35]/6), -(Sqrt[35]/3), -(Sqrt[3]/
2), Sqrt[3], Sqrt[3]/2, -Sqrt[3]} *)

or


Clear[x]

Evaluate[Array[x, 8]] = {(a1^2 m (c - yC1) - b1^2 xC1)/(a1^2 m^2 + b1^2),

(a2^2 m (c - yC2) - b2^2 xC2)/(a2^2 m^2 + b2^2)} /. sol // Transpose //
Flatten;

x /@ Range[8]

(* {Sqrt[35]/6, -(Sqrt[35]/6), -(Sqrt[3]/2), Sqrt[3]/2, Sqrt[35]/3, -(Sqrt[35]/
3), Sqrt[3], -Sqrt[3]} *)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...