Skip to main content

evaluation - How to properly DumpSave & Get Global`s symbols inside packages while not touching Global context?


For efficiency reasons I prefer to use DumpSave instead of Save.


For ease of access I prefer to save symbols in DumpSaved files inside Global` context.


But when my code evolved and I moved it inside packages I found a lot of problems to read symbols from those DumpSaved files so that read & write process




  • allows for use saved variables inside my package (and its context)

  • does not affect variables in Global`

  • When user loads the file directly with Get, bypassing my package (and perhaps not even loading it), the symbol is available in Global` context for him or her

  • symbol name is not hard-coded into function (but of course it must hard-coded into the file itself :-( )


Simply put: I want to use DumpSave & Get the way I use Export & Import, but with efficiency and flexibility benefits.


I come up with the following code, but it still messes the Global context and has the symbol name hardcoded (Global`myglobalname):


SaveMySymbol[object_,path_String]:= Block[{},
OwnValues[Global`myglobalname] = HoldPattern[Global`myglobalname] :> object;

DumpSave[
path<>".mx", Global`myglobalname]];

LoadMySymbol[path_String]:= Block[{strfullpath},
strfullpath = path<>".mx";
If[FileExistsQ[strfullpath], Get[strfullpath]; Global`myglobalname,
Null]]

I guess the problem with messing the Global` context can be avoided by caching the maybe existing definition of Global`myglobalname symbol and returning it back after Get. But the code look already awfully complex (it took me a full day to figure out the trick with OwnValues) and I suspect that there must be an easy way... Well, so far there always was one with Mathematica...



Answer




To show how this is possible:



Simply put: I want to use DumpSave & Get the way I use Export & Import, but with efficiency and flexibility benefits.



You can simply use Import and Export. They do support the same format that DumpSave uses, and they give you the same performance. But they don't save symbol names.


Export["data.mx", data, "MX"]

data = Import["data.mx"]

MX files are not portable between architectures though, so you may consider using Compressed strings, as described here. This is several times slower, but it's still quite fast compared to any other alternative and it's portable.



If you ever need to save InterpolatingFunctions, please be aware of this problem.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...