Skip to main content

plotting - Trapezoid approximation to definite integral


This question is related to Graphically approximating the area under a curve as a sum of rectangular regions.


I now was trying to adapt the code by MarcoB to get the approximation of the integral by trapezoids, and I used the function Line. I only need to color the trapezoids now. Is it possible to adapt the following code to do that? Thank you


f[x_] = Sin[x]
Manipulate[
lines = Table[ {Blue,
Line[{{a + i (b - a)/n,

f[a + i (b - a)/n]}, {a + (i + 1) (b - a)/n,
f[a + (i + 1) (b - a)/n]}}] }, {i, 0, n - 1, 1}];
Show[{Plot[f[x], {x, a, b}, PlotStyle -> {Red, Thick},
AxesOrigin -> {0, 0}], Graphics[{Thick, lines}]},
ImageSize -> Large],

{{a, 0}, -10, 10},
{{b, 6}, -10, 10},
{{n, 15} , 1, 40, 1}
]


Answer



Well, I could hardly be expected to resist...


Rather than using Line objects, it would seem more natural to use Polygon objects (see documentation). In the spirit of my suggestion to your previous question, I am leaving the simple rectangle approximation in the code as well, as an option to the Manipulate:


f[x_] := Sin[x]
Manipulate[

polygons = {

Table[{Opacity[0.05], EdgeForm[Gray],
Rectangle[

{a + i (b - a)/n, 0},
{a + (i + 1) (b - a)/n, f[a + i (b - a)/n]}
]},
{i, 0, n - 1, 1}
],

Table[{Opacity[0.05], EdgeForm[Gray],
Polygon[{
{a + i (b - a)/n, 0},
{a + i (b - a)/n, f[a + i (b - a)/n]},

{a + (i + 1) (b - a)/n, f[a + (i + 1) (b - a)/n]},
{a + (i + 1) (b - a)/n, 0}
}]
},
{i, 0, n - 1, 1}]
};

Show[{
Plot[f[x], {x, a, b}, PlotStyle -> {Red, Thick}, AxesOrigin -> {0, 0}],
Graphics[ polygons[[type]] ]

},
ImageSize -> Large
],
{{a, -1}, -10, 10},
{{b, 6}, -10, 10},
{{n, 5}, 1, 40, 1},
{{type, 2, "polygon\ntype"}, {1 -> "left rectangles", 2 -> "trapezoids"}}
]

Manipulate for trapezoid integral estimation



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...