Skip to main content

solve non-linear system of equations


I have a system of equations and I want to solve it to get x, y


$$\begin{cases} u= C_{1}+(x-C_{1})(1+k_{1}((x-C_{1})(x-C_{1})+(y-C_{2})(y-C_{2}))) \\ \\ v= C_{2}+(y-C_{2})(1+k_{2}((x-C_{1})(x-C_{1})+(y-C_{2})(y-C_{2}))) \end{cases}$$



If it possible I want to know how can it can be done in C++ too.


Update: Solve[] gives me very large output, so the problem is that I want to place solution in my C++ aplication and $C_1$, $C_2$, $k_1$, $k_2$ are variables. CForm[] doesn't help, I need more simple and suitable form for C++ to use.



Answer



Without further assumptions of your used constants the solution is quite lengthy


eqs = {
u == c1 + (x - c1) (1 +
k1 ((x - c1) (x - c1) + (y - c2) (y - c2))),
v == c2 + (y - c2) (1 + k2 ((x - c1) (x - c1) + (y - c2) (y - c2)))
};
Reduce[eqs, {x, y}]


If you can provide numerical values for your constants $C_n$ and $k_n$ it is probably possible to shorten the solution.


Please have a look on your system and notice, how the number of possible (real) solutions varies when the variables change


Manipulate[
ContourPlot[{u ==
c1 + (x - c1) (1 + k1 ((x - c1) (x - c1) + (y - c2) (y - c2))),
v == c2 + (y - c2) (1 +
k2 ((x - c1) (x - c1) + (y - c2) (y - c2)))}, {x, -5,
5}, {y, -5, 5}, PlotPoints -> ControlActive[10, 40],
MaxRecursion -> ControlActive[1, 5]],

{u, -1, 1},
{v, -1, 1},
{c1, -1, 1},
{c2, -1, 1},
{k1, -1, 1},
{k2, -1, 1}
]

enter image description here


Addionally, lets investigate in the first solution you get from the Reduce call



k1 == 0 && x == u && k2 != 0 && 
(y == Root[(-c1^2)*c2*k2 - c2^3*k2 + 2*c1*c2*k2*u - c2*k2*u^2 - v +
(1 + c1^2*k2 + 3*c2^2*k2 - 2*c1*k2*u + k2*u^2)*#1 - 3*c2*k2*#1^2 + k2*#1^3 & ,1] ||
y == Root[(-c1^2)*c2*k2 - c2^3*k2 + 2*c1*c2*k2*u - c2*k2*u^2 - v +
(1 + c1^2*k2 + 3*c2^2*k2 - 2*c1*k2*u + k2*u^2)*#1 - 3*c2*k2*#1^2 + k2*#1^3 & ,2] ||
y == Root[(-c1^2)*c2*k2 - c2^3*k2 + 2*c1*c2*k2*u - c2*k2*u^2 - v +
(1 + c1^2*k2 + 3*c2^2*k2 - 2*c1*k2*u + k2*u^2)*#1 - 3*c2*k2*#1^2 + k2*#1^3 & ,3])

What I want to show you is that you can hack the output of Reduce directly into C++. The only thing you need is a if/else way through all the possible forms your solution can have.


Looking at the output above, you see that when k1==0 and k2!=0 your solution is that x=u and y can take 3 values. These three values are the roots of a polynomial of third order. Therefore, your three points are {x,y1}, {x,y2}, {x,y3}. Using the Manipulate and set k1 to zero shows, that this is correct:



enter image description here


The points where the red and the blue lines cross have indeed the same x and 3 different y.


Therefore, the only thing required for your C++ code are basic arithmetic operations and a root-solver for polynomials of third order.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...