Skip to main content

performance tuning - MapThread and Compile


After discovering that MapIndexed cannot be used with compile (see MapIndexed and Compile) I am now trying do implement similar functionality using a combination of MapThread and Map. Unfortunately I am running into problems even when only using MapThread.


Here is a test-scenario:


Create Lists first:


A = {{1, 2}, {2, 3}};
B = {{{1, 2, 3}, {2, 3, 4}}, {{2, 3, 4}, {3, 4, 5}}};


The I simply run MapThread with function List[] to obtain a suitable combination of those lists and put the whole thing inside a Compile-statement:


test = Compile[{{B, _Real, 3}, {A, _Real, 2}}, MapThread[List[#1, #2, #3] &, {B, A, A}, 2]];

But when running test[B,A] I get the following compile error:



CompiledFunction::cfex: Could not complete external evaluation at instruction 15; proceeding with uncompiled evaluation.



When using CompilePrint[test] instruction 15 shows a call to MainEvaluate.


Unfortunately I currently have no clue how to fix that problem. Any hint is appreciated.




Answer



Incorporating the comments into an answer:



I don't think you are allowed to have lists of that irregular shape, i.e. {{1, 2, 3}, 1, 1}. Note that it works as expected with Plus[#1,#2,#3]&. See for instance Compile[{}, Block[{a = {1, 2}, b = 3}, {a, b}]][] – ssch Oct 15 '13 at 14:20


indeed, Compile only works with rectangular arrays of consistent type -- because otherwise they cannot be packed. Arrays in Compile are packed arrays, and ragged arrays destroy packing, and hence, compilation. – Andreas Lauschke Oct 15 '13 at 14:39



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...