Skip to main content

pattern matching - `Plus` wrongly applies `OneIdentity` to eradicate itself in `Plus[Power[_, 2] ..]`, unreproducible


I was trying to match some polynomials, but this is weird:



Plus[Power[x, 2], Power[y, 2]]~MatchQ~Plus[Power[_, 2] ..]
SetAttributes[f, Attributes@Plus]
f[Power[x, 2], Power[y, 2]]~MatchQ~f[Power[_, 2] ..]

Despite f having all of the same attributes as Plus, the expressions match only when it is used



False True



I found this is the root of the problem:


Plus[Power[_, 2] ..] // FullForm


gives Repeated[Power[Blank[],2]], the Plus entirely disappears, while


f[Power[_, 2] ..] // FullForm

gives f[Repeated[Power[Blank[],2]]] as I would expect.


I understand many built-in symbols escape the standard evaluation procedure anyways, so that not all of their behaviour is readily understandable from their Attributes etc. Obviously, Plus wrongly applies something like OneIdentity in this case, causing it to be removed. A user-defined symbol such as f doesn't do it here.


Is this a bug?



Answer



As pointed out in comments, this is caused by




Plus[x] is x



Here are some workarounds


Plus[Power[x, 2], Power[y, 2]]~MatchQ~Verbatim[Plus][Power[_, 2] ..]
Plus[Power[x, 2], Power[y, 2]]~MatchQ~HoldPattern[Plus][Power[_, 2] ..]
Plus[Power[x, 2], Power[y, 2]]~MatchQ~HoldPattern[Plus[Power[_, 2] ..]]

all giving True as expected.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?