Skip to main content

image processing - How to count proportion of two phase in a electron microscope picture


I have a picture:



enter image description here


The sunk area is a phase,and the bulged area in another phase.I want count the proportion of this two area.this is my method.First I get the mask by Image-Tool.


enter image description here


you can download to use it.


enter image description here


gra = GradientFilter[img, 2];
ImageCompose[img, {(comp = WatershedComponents[gra, mask]) //
Colorize[#, ColorRules -> {13 -> Transparent}] &, 0.6}]

enter image description here



Then the result is appear:


ComponentMeasurements[comp, "Count"] // SortBy[#, Last] & // 
Values // {Total[Most[#]], Last[#]} & // #/Total[#] & // N


{0.547061, 0.452939}



But as you see,some unsatisfactory place like this place lead to the result is imprecise.:


enter image description here


BTW,the use of Image-Tool to pick so many component is very unadvisable.Can anybody give a more smart and more precise solution?



Update:


As the @SimonWoods 's request,I process the origional picture by PhotoShop and upload it:


enter image description here



Answer



Here's an idea that could work: The "Ferrite" areas have a border that's slightly darker than the background, while the area in between has a border that's slightly brighter than its neighborhood. So a filter that compares each pixel with the average brightness in the neighborhood, like an LoG filter should be a good start:


img = Import["http://i.stack.imgur.com/dMLH5.png"];    
(log = LaplacianGaussianFilter[img, 2]) // ImageAdjust

enter image description here


In this image, the border around the Fe-Areas is a bit lower than 0, the border around the "background" areas is a bit larger than 0, and the rest is around 0. So we can binarize this image to get the interior border:



filter = SelectComponents[#, "Length", # > 10 &] &;
bin = filter@MorphologicalBinarize[log, {0.05, 0.1}]

enter image description here


(Where I've used SelectComponents to remove some of the "noise" - you can play with additional criteria to get better results.)


And we can do the same thing with the sign flipped to get the "outer" border:


binO = filter@
MorphologicalBinarize[ImageMultiply[log, -1], {0.05, 0.1}]

enter image description here



Now, pixels closer to the outer border are "background" pixels, and pixels closer to the inner border area "ferrite" pixels. So we simply calculate a Distance transform of the two border masks, and take the difference:


dt = DistanceTransform[ColorNegate[bin]];    
dtO = DistanceTransform[ColorNegate[binO]];
(dtDiff = Image[ImageData[dtO] - ImageData[dt]]) // ImageAdjust

enter image description here


And mark pixels with distance difference < 0


HighlightImage[img, Binarize[dtDiff, 0]]

enter image description here



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...