Skip to main content

fitting - Need to fit curve to 5 parameters: what's a problem with NonlinearModelFit?


I have a data. The LinearModelFit works well with it. But I'm really interested to fit it to y == a 34^b x^d + e 34^f x. So, my code:


fit2 = NonlinearModelFit[data, {a 34^b x^d + e 34^f x}, {a, b, d, e, f}, {x}]

But it gives me an error:




NonlinearModelFit::nrjnum: The Jacobian is not a matrix of real numbers at {a,b,d,e,f} = {1.,1.,1.,1.,1.}.



Now I'm a bit stuck...


Update


data = {{0, 0}, {0.5`, 0.005899`}, {2.`, 0.011938`}, {5.`, 
0.016026`}, {8.`, 0.019241`}, {11.`, 0.021775`}, {14.`,
0.023975`}, {17.`, 0.025926`}, {20.`, 0.027588`}, {23.`,
0.029033`}, {26.`, 0.030481`}, {29.`, 0.03175`}, {32.`,
0.032963`}, {35.`, 0.034043`}, {38.`, 0.035107`}, {44.`,

0.036933`}, {50.`, 0.038732`}, {56.`, 0.040337`}, {62.`,
0.041727`}, {68.`, 0.043243`}, {74.`, 0.044595`}, {80.`,
0.045782`}, {86.`, 0.046893`}, {92.`, 0.048013`}, {98.`,
0.04901`}, {104.`, 0.049906`}, {110.`, 0.050887`}, {116.`,
0.051737`}, {122.`, 0.052511`}, {130.`, 0.053636`}, {142.`,
0.056062`}, {154.`, 0.057802`}, {166.`, 0.059426`}, {178.`,
0.060762`}, {190.`, 0.062086`}, {202.`, 0.063304`}, {214.`,
0.064401`}, {226.`, 0.065449`}, {238.`, 0.066462`}, {250.`,
0.067398`}, {262.`, 0.068241`}, {274.`, 0.069049`}, {286.`,
0.069826`}, {298.`, 0.070638`}, {310.`, 0.071341`}, {322.`,

0.071984`}, {334.`, 0.07258`}, {346.`, 0.073202`}, {358.`,
0.073809`}, {370.`, 0.074263`}, {382.`, 0.074954`}, {394.`,
0.075353`}, {406.`, 0.075835`}, {418.`, 0.076402`}, {430.`,
0.076759`}, {442.`, 0.077285`}, {454.`, 0.077618`}, {466.`,
0.077963`}, {478.`, 0.078492`}, {490.`, 0.07869`}, {502.`,
0.079317`}, {514.`, 0.0795`}, {526.`, 0.079799`}, {538.`,
0.080266`}, {550.`, 0.080393`}, {562.`, 0.080893`}, {574.`,
0.081167`}, {586.`, 0.081271`}, {598.`, 0.081768`}, {610.`,
0.082036`}, {622.`, 0.082127`}, {634.`, 0.0824`}, {646.`,
0.082904`}, {658.`, 0.082974`}, {670.`, 0.083041`}, {682.`,

0.083286`}, {694.`, 0.083747`}, {706.`, 0.083797`}};

Answer



Because there is a term x^d, I dropped the point {0, 0} from the data (see here).


Next, the terms a 34^b and e 34^f will be just constants - there is no point in taking them as a multiplication of two numbers - there are infinitely many ways to write them. So I changed to just a and e.


Using Manipulate:


Manipulate[
Show[Plot[a x^d + e x, {x, 0, 700}], ListPlot@data,
PlotRange -> All], {a, 0, 1, 0.001}, {d, 0, 1, 0.01}, {e, 0, 1, 0.001}]

by trial-and-error I found starting values for the parameters:



fit2 = NonlinearModelFit[data, {a x^d + e x}, {{a, 0.2}, {d, 0.08}, {e, 0.}}, x]

that eventually gave


Show[Plot[Normal@fit2, {x, 0, 700}, PlotStyle -> Red], ListPlot@data]

enter image description here


being a quite good fit. The formula is


Normal@fit2



$0.00815195 x^{0.418618} - 0.0000613279 x$



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...