Skip to main content

calculus and analysis - How can I implement the method of Lagrange multipliers to find constrained extrema?


I want to form the function $h=f-\lambda_{1}g_{1}-\lambda_{2}g_{2}$ where $f$ is the function to optimize subject to the constraints $g_{1}=0$ and $g_{2}=0$ so that I can solve the first partial derivatives with respect to $\lambda_{1}$ and $\lambda_{2}$. Can someone get me started using $f(x,y,z)=xy+yz$ subject to the constraints $x^2+y^2-2=0$ and $x^2+z^2-2=0$?



Answer



We define the function f and multiple constraint functions g1, g2:


f[x_, y_, z_] := x y + y z
g1[x_, y_] := x^2 + y^2 - 2
g2[x_, z_] := x^2 + z^2 - 2


then, in order to find necessary conditions for constrained extrema we introduce the Lagrange function h with Lagrange multipliers λ1 and λ2:


h[x_, y_, z_, λ1_, λ2_] := f[x, y, z] - λ1 g1[x, y] - λ2 g2[x, z]

Now we solve an appropriate system of equations satisfying necesary conditions (i.e. vanishing of all first derivatives of h):


TraditionalForm[ 
Column[ pts = {x, y, z} /.
FullSimplify @ Solve[ D[h[x, y, z, λ1, λ2], #] == 0 & /@ {x, y, z, λ1, λ2},
{x, y, z, λ1, λ2}], Frame -> All]]


enter image description here


A bit nicer way of finding all the solutions uses Grad - a new function in Mathematica 9 for vector analysis:


{x, y, z} /. Solve[ Grad[ h @@ #, #] == 0, #]& @ {x, y, z, λ1, λ2} // FullSimplify

The above table contains all critical points of the Lagrange function h. For sufficient conditions one can use Maximize and Minimize, e.g.:


FullSimplify @  ToRadicals @ 
Maximize[{f[x, y, z], g1[x, y] == 0, g2[x, z] == 0}, {x, y, z}]


{1 + Sqrt[2], {x -> -(1/Sqrt[2 + Sqrt[2]]), 

y -> -Sqrt[1 + 1/Sqrt[2]],
z -> -Sqrt[1 + 1/Sqrt[2]]}}

We add a graphics with contours of constrained minima and maxima, the contraint functions ass well as all critical points of h:


Show[ 
ContourPlot3D[{ f[x, y, z] == 1 + Sqrt[2],
f[x, y, z] == -1 - Sqrt[2],
g1[x, y] == 0, g2[x, z] == 0},
{x, -2.3, 2.3}, {y, -2.3, 2.3}, {z, -2.3, 2.3},
ContourStyle -> {Directive[Cyan, Opacity[0.5]],

Directive[Green, Opacity[0.5]],
Directive[Orange, Opacity[0.15]],
Directive[Orange, Opacity[0.15]]}, Mesh -> None],
Graphics3D[{Magenta, PointSize[0.015], Point[pts]}]]

enter image description here


On the cyan surfaces we have maxima, on the green ones - minima and the solutions of the necessary conditions are denoted with the magenta points lying on the tube constraints.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?