Skip to main content

plotting - How can I get LineLegend to pick up my plot's BaseStyle?


The new legends functionality in version 9 really simplifies creating legends, and it automatically picks up the styles of the lines.


Plot[{Sin[x], Cos[x]}, {x, 0, 5}, 
PlotStyle -> {Directive[AbsoluteThickness[3], Orange],
Directive[AbsoluteThickness[3], Brown]}, PlotLegends -> LineLegend["Expressions"]]

Nice fat lines


But if there is a BaseStyle option to the plot affecting how the lines are plotted, the legend doesn't pick that up. See how the lines in the legend are now skinnier than in the plot.


Plot[{Sin[x], Cos[x]}, {x, 0, 5}, BaseStyle -> AbsoluteThickness[3], 

PlotStyle -> {Orange, Brown}, PlotLegends -> LineLegend["Expressions"]]

Oh noes! The lines are skinny!


How can I get LineLegend to see the BaseStyle of the plot while maintaining the automatic functionality of not having to explicitly specify the colors used in the plot?



Answer



You can't actually tell the LineLegends construct what the BaseStyle option of the enclosing plot is. But you can set the BaseStyle option for the LineLegend as well. Do not be fooled by the red text when you type BaseStyle inside the LineLegend! This is just another of those cases where things work even though they are not documented and show up in red.


Plot[{Sin[x], Cos[x]}, {x, 0, 5}, BaseStyle -> AbsoluteThickness[3], 
PlotStyle -> {Orange, Brown},
PlotLegends -> LineLegend["Expressions", BaseStyle -> AbsoluteThickness[3]]]


Which actually looks like this:


enter image description here


Produces this, just as required.


yay! fat lines again!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...