Skip to main content

import - How do you skip missing data values in a data file?


In scanning through a simple imported file of weather station data, some dates have missing data.


What is a test to use to check whether a datum is valid? I tried If[tempData[index][[4]]≠NaN, ] and If[tempData[index][[4]]≠Indeterminate, ], but neither seemed to work.


Most of my data is valid, and so it is just a matter of skipping/ignoring the occasional missing entry, and not incrementing my accumulators or counters.


The data are already arranged in a Mathematica list, and a missing entry is represented by two adjacent commas with nothing in between.


So, what I need is an If[ ] statement that will trigger (or not trigger) when it encounters such a missing data element.


Here is the code, along with a first snippet of output:


f[x_ /; MemberQ[Range@12, x]] := 
Switch[x, 2, 28, 4 | 6 | 9 | 11, 30, _, 31]


Do[

Do[ sum = 0.0; count = 0; index = 1;

While[index < 20454,

If[Part[tempData, index][[{2, 3}]] == {month, day},

sum = sum + Part[tempData, index][[4]]; count++ ]; index++];


Print[{month, day}, " ", sum, " ", count],

{day, 1, f[month]}

],

{month, 1, 12}

]


{1,1} 87.5 +5 56

{1,2} 60.4 +5 56

{1,3} 59.5 +5 56

{1,4} 54.5 +5 56

{1,5} 37.4 +5 56


{1,6} 39.6 +5 56

I interpret these results to mean that Mathematica found, for these six days in January, the sums of the temperatures for the corresponding days in the 20454 days of data (about 56 years) contained in tempData which had valid data. I think the +5 means that the program encountered 5 Null values, so that the data count should really be 51. If I wanted an average temperature for 01 January based on these data, I would divide 87.5 by 51.


My main concern is not computing the average, or any of the other manipulations I plan to do, but merely how to skip the Null data values. My most recent attempt was to add


If[!Null === Part[tempData, index][[4]], sum = sum + Part[tempData, index][[4]], count++]

but that did worse than not work — the sums and counts are all zero.


Here is a sample of the input data, tempData:


{{1955, 1, 1, 0.4, 1.9, -0.3, 4.2},


{1955, 1, 2, -0.5, 0.5, -1.1, 2.5},

{1955, 1, 3, 0.5, 2.7, -1.9, 0.8},

{1955, 1, 4, 1.4, 2.6, 0.6,"0T"},

{1955, 1, 5, 0.8, 2.3, -0.3, 0},

{1955, 1, 6, 0.7, 3.7, -1.7, 0}, etc. }



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?