Skip to main content

programming - How to implement dual numbers in Mathematica?


I wonder how can I implement dual numbers in Mathematica, so that all functions work well with them (as with complex numbers).


Particularly, for each function $f$, $f(\varepsilon)=f^\prime(0)\varepsilon$



Answer



If you use the matrix representation, addition and multiplication works by default, but you need to use matrix multiplication and not just space (which is element-wise multiplication), for instance f[a_,b_]:=a.b+b.b would for instance work exactly like you would expect if a and b where dual numbers.



If you just want to have the rule enforce that you mention, you could just write that rule out:


 dualE /: f_[dualE] := f'[0] dualE

You can add other rules to make your other algebra work out aswell for intance for multiplication:


 dualE /: Power[dualE, 2] := 0
(a + dualE b) (c + dualE d) // Expand // Collect[#, dualE] &

Update


If you want the full function application rule, then there is a problem with just defining it, lets assume you wanted to write down: f_[a+b dualE]:=f[a]+b f'[0] dualE if we expand this into the expression form it reads: f_[Plus[a,Times[b,dualE]]]:=... now such a definition can't have it's pattern attached to dualE, since it doesn't appear in the top level. What you would then need is to create a symbol that represents a dual number with both parts included, as Sasha suggested in a comment. Here is an example writing up rules for Times and Plus:


 dualE:=dualNumber[0,1];

Times[dualNumber[r1_,d1_],dualNumber[r2_,d2_]] ^:= dualNumber[r1 r2,d2 r1+d1 r2]
Times[dualNumber[r_,d_],n_] ^:= dualNumber[n r,n d]
Plus[dualNumber[r_,d_],n_] ^:= dualNumber[r+n,d]

Then you can write the definition for function application with respect to dualNumber


 dualNumber /: f_[dualNumber[r_, d_]] := f[r] + d f'[r] dualE

And if you would like the numbers to be printed like 2+ 3 duelE rather then as dualNumber[2,3]. Then you can define a MakeBoxes rule for it.


 MakeBoxes[dualNumber[a_, d_], StandardForm] ^:= 
RowBox[{MakeBoxes@a, "+", MakeBoxes@(Times[d, "dualE"])}]


Now then this works together to allow:


 Sin[(4 + dualE) (2 + 3 dualE)]


Sin[8] + dualE 14

 Sin[(a + b dualE) (c + d dualE)]



Sin[a c] + (b c + a d) dualE



Edited to correct error caught by Rahul Narain, also to improve incorrect output formating in symbolic expressions.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...