Skip to main content

streams - Getting InputStream errors when including a call to ElementData within an Import definition


So I am writing an ImportExport converter for a common chemistry file format, and I've run up against a problem that seems to be about shared streams and whatnot. I followed the directions on this page.


To work the example, create a random text file whose contents do not matter.


Export["testfile.txt", "hello"];

The definition for the Import converter is as follows


ImportExport`RegisterImport["TestFormat", TestFormat`TestFormatImport];

TestFormat`TestFormatImport[filename_String, options___] :=
Module[{temp},
(*Do some stuff, all works just fine*)
temp = ElementData["C", "AtomicNumber"];
{"Test" -> temp}];

All this does is call for the atomic number associated with the symbol C. If you test it out it seems to work just fine:


In[3]:= Import["testfile.txt",{"TestFormat","Test"}]
Out[3]= 6


But any subsequent call to ElementData gives a stream error:


In[4]:= ElementData["F","AtomicNumber"]
During evaluation of In[4]:= General::openx: InputStream[C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Roaming\Mathematica\Paclets\Repository\ElementData-7.0.28\Data\ElementData.wdx,122] is not open. >>
During evaluation of In[4]:= BinaryRead::openx: InputStream[C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Roaming\Mathematica\Paclets\Repository\ElementData-7.0.28\Data\ElementData.wdx,122] is not open. >>
Out[4]= $Failed

But, if I make a call to ElementData before I make the Import command, then the errors go away.


In[1]:= ImportExport`RegisterImport["TestFormat", 
TestFormat`TestFormatImport];
TestFormat`TestFormatImport[filename_String, options___] :=

Module[{temp},
(*Do some stuff, all works just fine*)
temp = ElementData["C", "AtomicNumber"];
{"Test" -> temp}];
ElementData["H", "AtomicNumber"]
Import["testfile.txt", {"TestFormat", "Test"}]
ElementData["F", "AtomicNumber"]

Out[3]= 1


Out[4]= 6

Out[5]= 9

This is all well and good, but I don't want to have to randomly make a call to ElementData before I do an Import command every time.


What is going on here and how can I fix it?


Thanks




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...