Skip to main content

packages - Is there a bug in AssociatePairs?



Bug introduced in 10.0 and fixed in 10.1.0




In Version 10, the GeneralUtilities package contain some useful functions. AssociatePairs is one of those functions included in the package and advertised to work as follows:


Needs["GeneralUtilities`"]

?AssociatePairs

Mathematica graphics


Well, here is an input that matches a List of pairs:


lis = Table[{k, k^3}, {k, 2, 10}];


Now,


AssociatePairs[lis]

Gives the following error:


Mathematica graphics


Well, the included PairQ function disagrees with this assertion:


AllTrue[lis, PairQ]



True



So, is this a bug? Since I can't get any list of pairs to work with this function. I'm on Windows 8.1



Answer



Using Simon Woods's Spelunk we see that the body of the function is:


Self : AssociatePairs[l_] := 
Module[{r$},
r$ = Which[! Quiet[TrueQ[MatrixQ[l, PairQ]]], Message[AssociatePairs::npairs, l];
$FailRHS, True, HoldSequence[Associate @@ Transpose[l]]];
ReleaseHoldSequence[r$] /; ! MatchQ[r$, $FailRHS | HoldSequence[$FailRHS]]

]

I draw your attention to:


TrueQ[MatrixQ[l, PairQ]]

Recalling the definition of MatrixQ:


enter image description here


This means that the function is checking that:





  1. l (input) is a matrix




  2. each element passes PairQ




This is apparently illogical.


One could correct this with one of many other possible checks, simplest perhaps:


MatchQ[l, {{_, _} ..}]


Or to allow for SparseArray input, as may have been the motivation for MatrixQ:


MatchQ[Dimensions[l], {_, 2}] && MatrixQ[l]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...