Skip to main content

differential equations - Animated Wave propagation using split operator method


Here is the state of the art: By solving the time-dependent Schrödinger equation, one obtains that the propagated wave function after time step $\Delta t$ can be calculated by applying the time-evolution operator on the wave packet at any instant $t$ \begin{equation} \Psi({\vec r},t+\Delta t)=e^{-i H\Delta t}\Psi({\vec r},t), \end{equation} where we assumed that the Hamiltonian $H$ is time-independent.


Following the split-operator method, the time evolution operator for the Hamiltonian can be calculated as a series of matrix multiplications \begin{equation} \Psi({\vec r},t+\Delta t)=M1.M2.M1\Psi({\vec r},t)+O(\Delta t^3), \end{equation}


I would like to do iteratively:I start with psi(r,0) to calculate psi(r,Δt); then I use the psi(r,Δt), multiply it by the matrices and obtain psi(r,Δt+Δt); then I take psi(r,Δt+Δt), multiply it by the matrices and obtain psi(r,Δt+Δt+Δt), and so on.


 ass = {Δt>0, v > 0, b > 0, \hbar > 0, kx >= 0,ky >= 0};

η[ℏ_, b_, x_, y_] =b/(2 Sqrt[π]) (x + I*y)*E^(-b*(x^2 + y^2)/(4*ℏ) )*{{1}, {1}};

M1[Δt_,v_,b_,y_,ℏ_] = {{1, 0}, {0, 1}}*Cos[(Δt*v*b*y)/(2 ℏ)]-
Sin[(Δt*v*b*y)/(2 ℏ)]/((Δt*v*b*y)/(2 ℏ))*{{0, -b y}, {-b y, 0}};



M2[Δt_,v_,b_,y_,ℏ_,kx_,ky_] = {{1, 0}, {0, 1}}*Cos[(Δt*v Sqrt[kx^2 + ky^2])/(2 ℏ)]-Sin[Δt*v Sqrt[kx^2 + ky^2]]/(Δt*v Sqrt[kx^2 + ky^2])*{{0, kx - I*ky}, {kx + I*ky, 0}};

The Time Evolution of a Wave Packet can be calculated as a series of matrix multiplication


Ψ[Δt_,v_,b_,x_,y_,ℏ_, kx_,ky_] := M1[Δt, v, b,y, ℏ].M2[Δt, v, b, y, ℏ, kx,ky].M1[Δt, v, b, y, ℏ].η[ℏ, b,x, y];

This is the same expression as in Eq. (16) here




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...