Skip to main content

pattern matching - Find subsequences of consecutive integers inside a list


I have a list which is something like this:


{3,4,5,6,7,10,11,12,15,16,17,19,20,21,22,23,24,42,43,44,45,46}

What I'd like to to is get the intervals which are in a "continuous" sequence, something like:


{{3,7},{10,12},{15,17},{19,24},{42,46}}


and get the extremes. Note that the original data (of which this is a small excerpt) shows no sign of regularity or repetition. Numbers start from 1 and get up to 200 (these numbers come from applying Position[] to an array).


Any pointers/ideas?



Answer



You can use Split in this simple case


list = {3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 10, 11, 12, 15, 16, 17, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46};
{Min[#], Max[#]} & /@ Split[list, #2 - #1 == 1 &]

What it does is that the last argument to split gives True only when neighboring elements have a difference of 1. If not, the list is split there. Then you can use the Min/Max approach to find the ends. First and Last will work too.


Update:


Since the attention to this question/answer is rather surprising, let me point out one important thing: It is the crucial difference between Split and SplitBy. Both functions take a second argument to supply a testing function to specify the point to split but the behavior is completely different. Btw, the same is true for Gather and GatherBy.



While the second argument to Split makes that it



treats pairs of adjacent elements as identical whenever applying the function test to them yields True,



SplitBy does a completely different thing. It



splits list a into sublists consisting of runs of successive elements that give the same value when f is applied.



If you weren't aware of this, a closer look is surely advisable.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?