Skip to main content

plotting - CustomTicks and small ranges


UPDATE


While the self-posted answer below (TickLabelStyle->TraditionalForm) works for most things, it also has the following effect: Integers are given periods in the label. That is, if the ticks would be at {1,2,3,4}, the labels are given as {"1.","2.","3.","4."} instead of the more pleasing {"1","2","3","4"}. Is there a better form or formatting function to use in this case?




I'm using the CustomTicks package from LevelScheme, and am having problems with displaying things when the range is very small ($10^{-11}$). For example, with default Mathematica:


ListPlot[{RandomReal[#], RandomReal[#]} & /@ (Range[100] 10^-10), 
Frame -> True, Axes -> False]


Gives


Mathematica graphics


While the equivalent, reproducible CustomTicks equivalent is:


ListPlot[{RandomReal[#], RandomReal[#]} & /@ (Range[100] 10^-10), 
Frame -> True, Axes -> False,
FrameTicks -> {LinTicks, LinTicks, StripTickLabels@LinTicks,
StripTickLabels@LinTicks}]

which gives:



Mathematica graphics


Erk. I must be missing something from the documentation, but I can't seem to find the right options. I want to eventually set more options for LinTicks (such as Tick length, etc), but this is a minimal example, and once this is solved, I can work on adding those options.


I can also double check that the range is set correctly by doing things slightly more by hand:


In[11]:= data = {RandomReal[#], 
RandomReal[#]} & /@ (Range[100] 10^-10);
xRange = {Min@data[[All, 1]], Max@data[[All, 1]]}
yRange = {Min@data[[All, 2]], Max@data[[All, 2]]}

Out[12]= {3.82894*10^-11, 9.18792*10^-9}


Out[13]= {5.96584*10^-12, 9.54224*10^-9}


In[14]:= ticks = FrameTicks -> {
LinTicks[xRange[[1]], xRange[[2]], MajorTickLength -> {0, 0.015},
MinorTickLength -> {0, 0.005}],
LinTicks[yRange[[1]], yRange[[2]], MajorTickLength -> {0, 0.015},
MinorTickLength -> {0, 0.005}],
StripTickLabels@LinTicks[xRange[[1]], xRange[[2]]],
StripTickLabels@LinTicks[yRange[[1]], yRange[[2]]]

}

Output omitted, but the range from LinTicks is correct. The x axis is $2\times 10^{-9}$ to $9\times 10^{-9}$, so they should output fine.


ListPlot[data, Frame -> True, Axes -> False, ticks]

Gives


Mathematica graphics


Any ideas?



Answer



As soon as I posted, I realized I could check whether there were any options for LinTicks that might be useful:



Options@LinTicks // TableForm

Scanning that list, I saw:


TickLabelFunction -> Automatic

On a hunch, I added


TickLabelFunction -> TraditionalForm

To the ticks definition from the question, and things worked:


Mathematica graphics



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...