Skip to main content

graphs and networks - Display a labeled multigraph


Introduced in version 9, fixed in version 10.



Thanks Szabolcs for providing this screenshot showing that the bug is fixed.







Despite the integration of graphs and networks, multigraphs are not supported in Mathematica 8+.


In Mathematica 9+, GraphPlot misbehaves for multigraphs having labelled parallel edges:


GraphPlot[{{1 -> 2, "a"}, {1 -> 2, "b"}, {2 -> 1, "c"}}]
GraphPlot[{{1 -> 2, "a"}, {1 -> 2, "b"}, {2 -> 1, "c"}}, DirectedEdges -> True]

GraphPlot multidigraph misbehavior


GraphPlot multigraph misbehavior


EdgeRenderingFunction is passed the nonsense labels, so using it is out of the question.


Due to this bug, it appears there is no easy way for Mathematica 9+ to render a multigraph with labels.


Are there any workarounds, or should I look somewhere other than Mathematica?




Answer



Here is a manual EdgeRenderingFunction that you can start from if you supply your labels as lists.


erf = Module[{spacing = .2, 
transform =
Last@FindGeometricTransform[#, {{0, 0}, {1, 0}}]}, {Text[#,
transform[{1/2, #2}]],
GeometricTransformation[
Arrow[BSplineCurve[{{0, 0}, {1/3, #2}, {2/3, #2}, {1, 0}},
SplineWeights -> {1, 10, 10, 1}]], transform]} & @@@
Thread[{#3,

Table[spacing*a, {a, Length@#3}] -
spacing*(Length@#3 + 1)/2}]] &;

GraphPlot[{{1 -> 2, {"a"}}, {2 -> 3, {"b", "c", "d"}}, {3 -> 4, {"e",
"f"}}, {1 -> 5, {"g", "h", "i", "j"}}, {3 -> 6, {"k"}}},
EdgeRenderingFunction -> erf]

enter image description here


To do the same with Graph instead of GraphPlot requires a bit more work because EdgeShapeFunctions for Graphs aren't given the labels. So you need to Fold across the edges of the Graph and replace the EdgeLabels with a custom EdgeShapeFunction containing the labels for each edge.


g = Graph[{Property[1 -> 2, EdgeLabels -> {"a"}], 

Property[2 -> 3, EdgeLabels -> {"b", "c", "d"}],
Property[3 -> 4, EdgeLabels -> {"e", "f"}],
Property[1 -> 5, EdgeLabels -> {"g", "h", "i", "j"}],
Property[3 -> 6, EdgeLabels -> {"k"}]}];

es[labels_] :=
Module[{spacing = .2,
transform =
Last@FindGeometricTransform[#, {{0, 0}, {1, 0}}]}, {Text[#,
transform[{1/2, #2}]],

GeometricTransformation[
Arrow[BSplineCurve[{{0, 0}, {1/3, #2}, {2/3, #2}, {1, 0}},
SplineWeights -> {1, 10, 10, 1}]], transform]} & @@@
Thread[{labels,
Table[spacing*a, {a, Length@labels}] -
spacing*(Length@labels + 1)/2}]] &

g // Fold[
RemoveProperty[{SetProperty[{#, #2},
EdgeShapeFunction ->

es@PropertyValue[{#, #2}, EdgeLabels]], #2}, EdgeLabels] &, #,
EdgeList@#] &

enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...