Skip to main content

vector calculus - Finding scalar potential function



Consider the vector field defined by: $$\vec F(x,y)=\langle 2xy-\sin x,x^2+e^{3y}\rangle$$ We can check to see if the vector field is conservative with the following calculations: $$\begin{align*} \frac{\partial}{\partial x}(x^2+e^{3y})=2x\\ \frac{\partial}{\partial y}(2xy-\sin x)=2x\\ \end{align*}$$ Now, I am interested in looking at several different procedures for finding a scalar function $f(x,y)$ such that $\vec F(x,y)=\nabla f(x,y)$. Can folks share their ideas?



Update: Sure, students need to attack this by hand in class in the following manner.


$$\begin{align*} \vec F(x,y)&=\nabla f(x,y)\\ \langle 3+2xy, x^2-3y^2\rangle&=\langle\partial f/\partial x, \partial f/\partial y\rangle \end{align*}$$


They start by setting $$\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}=3+2xy,$$ then integrate with respect to $x$. $$f(x,y)=3x+x^2y+h(y)$$ The second step is to set: $$\begin{align*} \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}&=x^2-3y^2\\ \frac{\partial}{\partial y}(3x+x^2y+h(y))&=x^2-3y^2\\ x^2+h'(y)&=x^2-3y^2 \end{align*}$$ The last line gives us $$h'(y)=-3y^2,$$ then integrating gives us $$h(y)=-y^3.$$ Subbing this into $f(x,y)=3x+x^2y+h(y)$ gives the final answer. $$f(x,y)=3x+x^2y-y^3$$


So I am trying:


Clear[f, h, x, y, p, q]
p = 3 + 2 x y;
q = x^2 - 3 y^2;

Then I perform the conservative test:


D[p, y]

D[q, x]

Which gives:


(* 2x *)

(* 2x *)

So we do have a conservative vector field. Next:


f=Integrate[p,x]+h[y]


Which gives:


(* 3 x + x^2 y + h[y] *)

Next, I run:


Solve[D[f, y] == q, h'[y]]

Which gives:


(* {{Derivative[1][h][y] -> -3 y^2}} *)

Then I do this:



Integrate[-3 y^2, y]

Which gives:


(* -y^3 *)

Then I do this:


f = f /. h[y] -> -y^3

Which gives the final answer:


(* 3 x + x^2 y - y^3 *)


I love the answers I have received thus far, but would also like to see what folks do to purify my attempt.



Answer



The typical approach is


DSolve[{D[f[x, y], x] == 2 x y - Sin[x], D[f[x, y], y] == x^2 + Exp[3 y]}, f[x, y], {x, y}]
(* {{f[x, y] -> E^(3 y)/3 + x^2 y + C[1] + Cos[x]}} *)

Note that, if the vector field were not conservative, DSolve would return unevaluated.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...