Skip to main content

plotting - n-dimensional plot


I want to plot 6-dimensional data using parallel axes (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_coordinates). The list looks like this:


    {{a1,b1,c1,d1,e1,f[a1,b1,c1,d1,e1]},{a2,b2,c2,d2,e2,f[a2,b2,c2,d2,e2]},{},...}

I need to draw six vertical axes with scales on them, connect the dots with lines, and color these lines according to the value of f[ai,bi,ci,di,ei], or the last coordinate.



A three dimensional example with two data would help me start, but I don't know how to do it.


Thank you.



Answer



Here's a start:


parallelPlot[dat_] := 
ListPlot[dat,
Prolog ->
Table[Line[{{i, Min[dat]}, {i, Max[dat]}}], {i,
Length[dat[[1]]]}],
PlotStyle ->

Table[Blend[{Red, Blue},
Rescale[dat[[i, -1]], {Min[dat[[All, -1]]], Max[dat[[All, -1]]]}
]], {i, Length[dat]}],
Joined -> True,
Axes -> False
]

Test:


parallelPlot[RandomInteger[{-5, 5}, {10, 6}]]


enter image description here


Things that one can easily add but I don't have time now:



  1. Rescale each coordinate separately.

  2. Ticks, labels, etc.

  3. Colorbar


======= Better function, that also rescales ========


The Rescale function is what you should use for rescaling. Let's keep the minimum and maximum of each dimensions in the variables mins and maxs, and thus


{mins, maxs} = Transpose[{Min[#], Max[#]} & /@ Transpose[data]];

rescaledData =
Transpose@
Table[Rescale[data[[All, i]], {mins[[i]], maxs[[i]]}], {i, Length@data[[1]]}];

We can then use mins and maxs to create tick labels at the bottom and top of each dimension. Here's the integrated code (I also added a Floor and Ceiling functions in the calculation of mins and maxs to make the bounds nicer):


parallelPlot[data_] := Block[{mins, maxs, rescaledData, n, ndim},
n = Length[data];
ndim = Length[data // First];
{mins, maxs} = Transpose[{Floor@Min[#], Ceiling@Max[#]} & /@ Transpose[data]];
rescaledData =

Transpose@
Table[Rescale[data[[All, i]], {mins[[i]], maxs[[i]]}], {i, ndim}];
ListPlot[rescaledData,
Prolog -> Table[Line[{{i, 0}, {i, 1}}], {i, ndim}],
PlotStyle -> Table[Blend[{Red, Blue}, rescaledData[[i, -1]]], {i, n}],
Epilog -> {
Table[Text[mins[[i]] // ToString, {i, 0}, {-1, 0}], {i, ndim}],
Table[Text[maxs[[i]] // ToString, {i, 1}, {-1, 0}], {i,ndim}]
},
Joined -> True,

Axes -> False];

To test, we generate 6-dimensional random data (here its 15 points), where each coordinate is randomly distributed between two random bounds.


d = Transpose@Table[
RandomReal[{Min@#, Max@#} &@RandomInteger[{0, 10}, 2], 15],
{6}]
parallelPlot@d

enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...