Skip to main content

performance tuning - Finding column with maximum sum of by-element products of column subsets efficiently?


A couple of recent questions and associated answers reminded me of an old problem:


As a toy example, take:



SeedRandom[1211]
matsize = 5;
subsize = 3;
mat = RandomInteger[{-10, 10}, {matsize, matsize}];
mat // MatrixForm

$\left( \begin{array}{ccccc} -2 & 8 & 2 & 7 & -7 \\ 5 & -2 & -4 & 2 & -3 \\ 3 & -9 & -1 & -3 & 5 \\ 4 & -7 & 8 & 9 & -7 \\ 4 & 3 & -3 & -8 & 7 \\ \end{array} \right)$


where rows represent some subject/object under test, columns are different sets of conditions, and the elements are an integer score on [-10,10].


It is desired to find the column index whose elements, taken over all subsets of size subsize, have the maximum value when the elements of each subset are multiplied and those products are totaled.


For the toy example, this is column 2, with a result of 487.



A naive way might be


Tr /@ Apply[Times, Subsets[#, {subsize}] & /@ Transpose[mat], {2}] // Ordering // Last

but that will obviously blow RAM for cases with large subset cardinality.


Much more memory efficient, but with its own issues is:


SymmetricPolynomial[subsize, #] & /@ Transpose[mat] // Ordering // Last

How might you do this, with the proviso that I'd prefer pure Mathematica (compilation to WVM is fine, compilation to C means I'rather just write it directly in C or whatever), and the actual use-case is matsize=100 and subsize=30.


Edit: Since adding bounty, I came up with


(Coefficient[Times @@ (1 + #1 x) // Expand, x^#2] // Position[#, Max@#] &) &[mat, subsize]


Fastest way so far (on my box), reasonable RAM use.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...