Skip to main content

sorting - Gather list elements by labels


The following list has some elements that are labeled. For example {1, 2} -> 1, {-1, 3} -> 3, etc:


list = {{1, 2}, {-1, 3}, {5, 6}, {-3, 4}, {7, 8}, {-9, 1}, {0, 1}};
labels = {1, 3, 2, 1, 2, 1, 3};

What is a good way to gather list's elements clustered according to their labels?


clusters = {{{1 ,2}, {-3, 4}, {-9, 1}}, {{5, 6}, {7, 8}}, {{-1, 3}, {0, 1}}}

Answer




I believe the best way is to use an Ordering function with recognition of duplicates.
Please see that (self) Q&A for an explanation.


myOrdering[a_List] := GatherBy[Ordering@a, a[[#]] &]

list[[#]] & /@ myOrdering[labels]


{{{1, 2}, {-3, 4}, {-9, 1}}, {{5, 6}, {7, 8}}, {{-1, 3}, {0, 1}}}




Benchmarking


And updated benchmark for recent versions, performed in 10.1.0.


Note: in version 7 Pick was orders of magnitude slower in this test. Now it is competitive but it still falls behind as the number of unique labels increases.


myOrdering[a_List] := GatherBy[Ordering@a, a[[#]] &]

f1[{list_, labels_}] :=
Extract[list, Position[labels, #]] & /@ Union@labels

f2[{list_, labels_}] :=
Pick[list, labels, #] & /@ Union@labels


f3[{list_, labels_}] :=
GatherBy[Sort[Transpose@{labels, list}, OrderedQ[{#1[[1]], #2[[1]]}] &],
First][[All, All, 2]]

f4[{list_, labels_}] :=
Reap[MapThread[Sow, {list, labels}], Union@labels][[2, All, 1]]

f5[{list_, labels_}] :=
list[[#]] & /@ myOrdering[labels]


g[n_] := RandomInteger[⌈n/4⌉, #] & /@ {{n, 2}, n}


Needs["GeneralUtilities`"]

BenchmarkPlot[{f1, f2, f3, f4, f5}, g, 10]

enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?