Skip to main content

performance tuning - Split a string at specific positions


Given a string of alphanumerical characters, how to split it simply and quickly at the center of continuous letter-substrings? Is there an elegant and fast solutions out there in the "computational universe"?


The splitter should create "syllables" with one digit as a nucleus for each syllable, that is, at the end there should be only one digit per sublist. When there are more letter characters between digits, letters should be shared by the bordering digits (here I simulated a half share, distributing towards the right bordering digit in case of an odd number of letters), and starting and ending letter-sequences should be just attached to the closest digit.


"xxx00xxx000x0xx0xxxx000xx0xx" (* original string *)


"xxx0 | 0x | xx0 | 0 | 0 | x0x | x0xx | xx0 | 0 | 0x | x0xx" (* intermediate *)

{"xxx0", "0x", "xx0", "0", "0", "x0x", "x0xx", "xx0", "0", "0x", "x0xx"} (* end *)

Note that the string never contains spaces by default.



Answer



Here is a faster version of István's function:


split[s_String] :=
StringReplace[s, {
StartOfString ~~ l : LetterCharacter .. :> l,

l : LetterCharacter .. ~~ EndOfString :> l,
l : LetterCharacter .. :>
StringInsert[l, " ", 1 + Quotient[StringLength@l, 2] ],
d : Repeated[DigitCharacter, {2, ∞}] :>
StringJoin @ Riffle[Characters@d, " "]
}] // StringSplit

Timings:


str = StringJoin @@ (RandomInteger[{0, 1}, {500000}] /. {0 -> "0", 1 -> "x"});


First@AbsoluteTiming[istvan = splitIstvan@str;]
First@AbsoluteTiming[mrwizard = split@str;]
istvan === mrwizard


0.7710441

0.4260243

True


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...