Skip to main content

One to Many Lists Merge


I have two lists:


list1 = {{1, A, AA}, {2, B, BB}, {3, C, CC}, {4, D, DD}, {6, F, FF}};

list2 = {{1, a, aa}, {1, b, bb}, {1, c, cc}, {2, d, dd}, {2, e, ee}, {3, f, ff},
{3, g, gg}, {3, h, hh}, {4, i, ii}, {4, j, jj}, {4, k, kk}, {4, l, ll},
{4, m, mm}, {5, n, nn}, {5, o, oo}, {7, p, pp}};

I want to merge these two lists. While merging list1 to list2, elements of list1 should be repeated or missing as shown below:




result = {{1, a, aa, A, AA}, {1, b, bb, A, AA}, {1, c, cc, A, AA}, {2, d, dd, B, BB}, 
{2, e, ee, B, BB}, {3, f, ff, C, CC}, {3, g, gg, C, CC}, {3, h, hh, C, CC},
{4, i, ii, D, DD}, {4, j, jj, D, DD}, {4, k, kk, D, DD}, {4, l, ll, D, DD},
{4, m, mm, D, DD}, {5, n, nn, Missing[], Missing[]},
{5, o, oo, Missing[], Missing[]}, {6, Missing[], Missing[], F, FF},
{7, p, pp, Missing[], Missing[]}};

Any help is greatly appreciated. Similarly, if we can merge above two lists plus the following list in a similar manner in one step, please help me.



list3 = {{2, .2, 20}, {3, .3, 30}, {4, .4, 40}, {5,.5, 50}, {6, .6, 60}};


Thank you all in advance.



Answer



Approach using v10 functions:


CustomMerge1[lists__] := Module[{assocList, keys, vals, res},
assocList = GroupBy[#, First -> Rest] & /@ {lists};
keys = Sort@DeleteDuplicates[Flatten[Keys /@ assocList]];
res = Table[
vals = #[k] /. Missing[___] -> {{Missing[], Missing[]}} & /@
assocList;

Flatten /@ Tuples[{{k}, Sequence @@ vals}]
, {k, keys}];
Flatten[res, 1]
];
CustomMerge1[list1, list2, list3]
(*{{1, A, AA, a, aa, Missing[], Missing[]}, {1, A, AA, b, bb, Missing[],
Missing[]}, {1, A, AA, c, cc, Missing[], Missing[]}, {2, B, BB, d,
dd, 0.2, 20}, {2, B, BB, e, ee, 0.2, 20}, {3, C, CC, f, ff, 0.3,
30}, {3, C, CC, g, gg, 0.3, 30}, {3, C, CC, h, hh, 0.3, 30}, {4, D,
DD, i, ii, 0.4, 40}, {4, D, DD, j, jj, 0.4, 40}, {4, D, DD, 4, kk,

0.4, 40}, {4, D, DD, l, ll, 0.4, 40}, {4, D, DD, m, mm, 0.4,
40}, {5, Missing[], Missing[], n, nn, 0.5, 50}, {5, Missing[],
Missing[], o, oo, 0.5, 50}, {6, F, FF, Missing[], Missing[], 0.6,
60}, {7, Missing[], Missing[], p, pp, Missing[], Missing[]}}*)

As you see this function work with any number of input lists


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...